Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Revamped Old Furniture

One project that I've been wanting to do for a long time is to revamp old furniture. I needed a new desk so I found a old used desk on craigslist for $30 and a cute storage shelf furniture piece for $25 at a thrift store. The latches actually matched perfectly so I was excited because I wouldn't have to buy all new ones. The desk that I bought had one broken handle(which I'm hoping my grandfather can fix) and the top of it had a few big stains as you can see below. I went ahead and sanded it, prime painted it and painted it white. I then used mod podge to make a unique top of the desk. I simply painted a coat of mod podge onto the desk top, laid my fabric down and then painted a few coats of mod podge on top to seal it. I made sure to sand each layer a bit before puting the next coat on because it helps keep a smooth and shiny surface. I've been obsessed with mod podge furniture and this was the perfect time to try it out. With my other piece of furniture I just sanded and painted it. I really like how they turned out and it didn't cost me much to make this old furniture brand new.

BEFORE

After the paint and before the mod podge fabric detail work.  

BEFORE


The other pictures are coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. The desk turned out really cute...I would love to see a better look at the fabric on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Morgan! I still haven't actually done the top yet! I'm trying to decide on the fabric choice, it's such a big decision! I'll post pictures once I finish it.

    ReplyDelete